Sunday, November 8, 2009

Refrigerator Reno

So my friend just bought a house, and one of the appliances that he's been lacking was the refrigerator. His mother had one for him, which he drove to Tennessee to pick up today. All of his other appliances are black; this fridge is almond. So what's a designer to do?

That's right. Break out the paint cans, painter's tape, and brushes!

This was my first time both working with an appliance and working with oil-based paint. I'll walk you through it.

- Used a sand block--fine grain--to sand down the existing surfaces to both get rid of scuff marks and debris and to give the paint a surface to adhere to
- Used a sponge-based roller brush designed for cabinets and doors to apply the paint; it worked much better than I thought it would
- Used one of my artist brushes to apply the paint to the smaller cracks, crevices, nooks, and crannies

I'm not sure if it's a quality of oil-based paints or if the brush was just awesome, but the paint really seemed to self-level itself out, making brush strokes impossible to detect. It'll definitely take two coats because of the texture of the refrigerator, but after just one, it looks a thousand times better; you'd never know just how ancient it really is unless you Googled the model number (which I MAY have accidentally painted over; oops!).

Once the entire unit is reassembled, I'll take a final photo. I just hope the thing actually works! We'll see soon enough.

[crf]

No comments:

Post a Comment